The Writer's Buildings, Calcutta
<img src="https://historyarchive.org/images/books/books-o/oriental-scenery-v02-1797/plates/05-the-writers-buildings-calcutta.jpg" alt="The Writer's Buildings, Calcutta from Oriental Scenery Vol. 2 (1797)" />
Plate 4 from the second set of Thomas and William Daniell's 'Oriental Scenery.' The Writers' Buildings housed the East India Company's servants for their first year in Calcutta. The building was a long range of identical suites built by Thomas Lyon in 1780 on the north side of Tank (later Dalhousie) Square. Beyond it there is the Old Court House. The obelisk in front of Writers' Buildings was erected by Governor Holwell as a memorial for the victim of the "Black Hole" of 1756.