Sketches of African scenery, from Zanzibar to the Victoria Nyanza, being a series of coloured lithographic pictures, from original sketches by the late Mr. Thomas O'Neill, of the Victoria Nyanza Mission of the Church Missionary Society
Thomas O'Neill was a Christian missionary who published his account of the Victoria Nyanza Mission and travels in South Africa with colored illustrated scenery. The church played a pivotal role in the Colonial life in Africa. This work contains some of the earliest colored views of the region.
"The larger part of the letterpress is from a journal kept by Mr. O'Neill, not before printed. The Introduction if condensed from a fuller history of the Mission, lately published, The Victoria Nyanza Mission, Church Missionary House, Salisbury Square, London, E. C."
19 chromo-lithographed plates on 9 leaves. One uncoloured map set in text. Text foxed. A scarce work.
- 1. The start from Kikoka, 18th July 1876.
- 2. Village of Rosako.
- 3. Rapids on the Wami River.
- 4. View in the Nguru Mountains, near Mamro on the Wami.
- 5. View from the C.M.S. Camp, Mkundi River, Usagara, looking East.
- 6. C.M.S. Camp at Magubika, Usagara.
- 7. Panoramic view from the C.M.S. Camp, Mkundi River, Usagara, looking West.
- 8. Mpwapwa, in the Usagara Mountains.
- 9. View from the C.M.S. Station, Mpwapwa, looking West.
- 10. C.M.S. Camp in Western Ugogo.
- 11. Nguru, Capital of Usukuma.
- 12. Grave of Dr. John Smith at Kagei.
- 13. Repairing the Daisy at Kagei.
- 14. Grant Bay, Victoria Nyanza, from the Island of Ukerewe.
- 15. C.M.S. Camp and Building Yard, Bukindo, Ukerewe.
- 16. Entrance Gate to Bukindo, Island of Ukerewe.
- 17. Court House and Entrance to King's Palace, Bukindo.
- 18. Marketing at the C.M.S. Camp, Ukerewe.
- 19. Wreck of the Dhow.
+ Read More
References: Bobins 106
Publisher: London, Church Missionary House
Date Added: 2019-01-09
O'Neill, Thomas. Sketches of African Scenery. London, Church Missionary House. 1878.
O'Neill, Thomas (1878) Sketches of African Scenery. London, Church Missionary House.
O'Neill, Thomas, Sketches of African Scenery. London, Church Missionary House. 1878.